Friday, June 11, 2010

"There are 94598459345 chickens running around in that house pooping on everything with fire!!"


So, it has been an emotional few days here at The 836. Maintenance came on Wednesday to fix the windows at our house. They saw that we had baby chicks and flipped out. After many e-mails, that had gotten completely blown out of proportion, we had to get rid of my babies. The e-mails first said that the chicks were in the house (they were on the back porch in a box, not running around the inside of the house) and that there was a heat lamp near woodchips that created a fire hazard (By heat lamp I am sure they meant 60 watt desk lamp about 1.5 feet above the woodchips). If I could paraphrase all that those e-mails said I would say this, "There are 94598459345 chickens running around in that house pooping on everything with fire!!" The lady who is in charge of the leasing told me that it was okay to have the chickens at the house, it was maintenance that had the problem with it. She apologized to me for not asking maintenance first before telling me yes.
I had to act quickly and find a home for my babies. A lady from work, Lynnanne, raises chickens. She was so wonderful and willing to take them for me. I had to ask around at the office to make sure that she was a good enough foster parent for my babies. Everyone said that she was and that my babies would be fine. I asked her if I could come and visit them sometime, she laughed at me, but soon realized how serious I was.
On Thursday night we had a going away party for my babies. Janna made some brownies and we brought the kids outside to play. It was great to see them running around and having fun. Some of the neighbors even stopped by to see the kids, pet them, and tell me how cute my babies were. It made me really happy, almost bittersweet. The family photo that is posted here will forever be one of my favorites.
I brought my babies to work today to give to Lynnanne. She doesn't have the same sort of love and affection for my babies as I do, but that's okay because they are mine.

The Colonel, Janet, Boo and Carol (Carl) will always be in my heart. If I ever go to visit them, I'll post on here again and let you guys know how they are doing.

Thanks for reading.....

1 comment:

  1. i like how the one brown one is looking straight at the camera and posing! sorry you had to get rid of them alex but you have some great memories!! maybe you should get a lizard or turtle or something. :)

    ReplyDelete